Monday 30 January 2012

TRANSCRIPTION: Getting Started and First 'Hovering' ideas



And yes, Transcription is here and it is rather exciting to work on a 10 week project independently. We are challenged to 'transcribe' a text into a different text format. A text can be anything from a poem, a piece of music or a painting and can be made into an animation, character design or environment design.

"Transcription’ describes a process of interpretation from one source to another. For
example, a piece of music being visualised as a music video or a book being imaginedas a film."

But of course the best way to start this Unit is to get hold of a good source which can provide you with a lot of choices and possibilities. This can be the hardest part as it might be struggling trying to find something 'out there' that will satisfy your needs or visions.

"This unit requires the transcription of a narrative or body of investigation and knowledgeinto a complex project that exploits the aesthetic possibilities of digital environments. Itrequires the selection of an appropriate source of inspiration and to critically define its,narrative structure (including diegesic and non-diegesic elements) aesthetic qualities,environment, characters, and soundscape."into a complex project that exploits the aesthetic possibilities of digital environments. Itrequires the selection of an appropriate source of inspiration and to critically define its,narrative structure (including diegesic and non-diegesic elements) aesthetic qualities,environment, characters, and soundscape."

The challenge is looking big but I am positive that it is going to be a rewarding one.


MY FIRST THOUGHTS


What do I want my outcome to be?

I haven't got anything solid yet in my mind but have been thinking of some first ideas that I've grasped since the beginning. Phil advised me to firstly decide what I want my outcome to be, whether it's going to result into an animation, a character or an environment. I think what I wan to make the most of in this unit in Animation, and specifically character performance. I love creating characters but bringing them to life with animation is the biggest stepping stone. So what am I going to focus on? --->  CHARACTER PERFORMANCE

What Content?

My first ever idea derived from an Artist Alan suggested us during our Narrative Unit. He is called Craig Davidson and he makes paintings of childern with their shadows representing what they are pretending to be. I thought it would be a great idea to play around with children's imaginations and show them off in their shadows.

A Fistful of Spangles

Plains Jane

 Whats That Skippy, Someone Trapped In the Well


Are You With Me Men!, Aye Robin!!
By The Gods!
After the talk I had with Phil on this idea he gave me a whole new perspective to it which is similar to the original one but somehow more interesting. How would it be like if I could transcribe a real life monologue of a child and bring it to life with a character alon with lip-syncing, of course. It would be interesting to record an actual child talking about its dreams and visions and trancribing them into a simple animation.

I am aiming to look deep into children's imagination  and try and read through their crazy minds.

Well, this is my first idea. Not sure if I will stick to this but at least it is a starting point.


No comments:

Post a Comment