Friday 3 February 2012

Transcription: Moving to Plan B

After a lot of thought and since I haven't heard any answers from the people I e-mailed yet I am going to move along with plan B which is to work on a child's imagination journey into the real world. Meaning showing how a real world experience looks like through a young child's eyes.
I thought that the most distinctive example would be to work on something that everyone of us have experienced in our childhood, like stepping on tiles and avoiding the cracks, thinking they are lava or hungry crocodiles hiding between them. The illustration I found (the kid crossing the zebra crossing and imagining crocodiles hidden inbetween the lines) works perfectly for this and I can certainly imagine this being a playful animation.
After talking to Dan about my idea (thanks a lot Dan :) ) he showed me this poem from A.A Milne, the writer of "Winnie The Pooh" and immediately linked it to my idea and the Illustration. They are very similar, except that Milne's poem talks about a kid walking on the street and bears appearing out of the cracks.

Both can work really well, yet I am not sure what I am transcribing exactly: the poem or the illustration?


Lines and Squares


Kids ImaginationWhenever I walk in a London street,
I'm ever so careful to watch my feet;
And I keep in the squares,
And the masses of bears,
Who wait at the corners all ready to eat
The sillies who tread on the lines of the street
Go back to their lairs,
And I say to them, "Bears,
Just look how I'm walking in all the squares!"

And the little bears growl to each other, "He's mine,
As soon as he's silly and steps on a line."
And some of the bigger bears try to pretend
That they came round the corner to look for a friend;
And they try to pretend that nobody cares
Whether you walk on the lines or squares.
But only the sillies believe their talk;
It's ever so portant how you walk.
And it's ever so jolly to call out, "Bears,
Just watch me walking in all the squares!"


Alan Alexander Milne




No comments:

Post a Comment