Friday 23 September 2011

Character Design: Western Kung Fu Fighters- Research

And my Characters are... Western Kung Fu Fighters! Such an interesting combination right there. The first thing that popped in my mind was kung fu fighters performing their moves into a far west sallon. But it cannot be that simple. There needs to be a story behind the characters otherwise the audience might rise up some questions like: How did cowboys decide to be kung fu fighters? Is there a story behind it? Or how can martial arts be combined with cowboy fights? Would it make sense if cowboys decided to learn martial arts?
It is very exciting making up a story to explain this combination. I am in a bit of a dilemma though. Would it be better if my characters were animals instead of actual humans? I've always thought animals are more attractive, especially for children. 
Here are some inspiring characters I thought would be great reference:

Kung Fu Characters 
Kung Fu Panda
Skunk Fu
Samurai Jack
Juniper Lee

Cowboy Characters
Lucky Luke
Home on The Range

An American Tail: Fievel Goes West


Oh and Shanghai Noon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment